At the 2007 Northeast Astronomy Forum in New York, Tele Vue introduced attendees to a new observing experience with personal views through the new Ethos. With a 13mm focal length evoking the original “Nagler” revolution, the field area of this new eyepiece is, at 100º, more than 50% larger than an 82º field. The Televue 13mm Ethos eyepiece is essentially multiple eyepieces, delivering the true field size of a longer focal length, narrower apparent field eyepiece with the benefits of higher power and darker sky background.
Televue is known for its in-house eyepiece and telescope designs by Al Nagler. Televue's latest eyepiece brings new meaning to the term “in-house.” The concept for the 13mm Ethos eyepiece was first proposed by Televue President David Nagler, with performance parameters giving it the fundamental characteristics (the ethos) of a Tele Vue eyepiece: high contrast, comfortable eye relief and full field sharpness. Control of astigmatism, field curvature, lateral color, angular magnification distortion correction (technical reference), and low pupil sensitivity for daytime use were specified criteria.
Following Tele Vue’s philosophy of pushing the state of the art, long-time Televue employee and optical design protégé Paul Dellechiaie took up the challenge and designed the basic eyepiece form. Under Al’s guidance, Paul tweaked his design to fulfill the original goals.
While sharpness is inherent to the optical design, contrast is maximized through the intelligent use of flat finished baffles and ultra low reflectance, high efficiency coatings tuned to the composition of each element.
The Televue 13mm Ethos eyepiece has now been shown at NEAF, TSP, RTMC, as well as other major astronomy events. The Televue Ethos has been extremely well received by the astronomy community and will be one of the most highly anticipated products to be released in years.
Televue - Tele Vue 13mm Ethos Eyepiece - 2"/1.25"
- New Televue 13mm Ethos eyepiece. Yes, it's true....an eyepiece with a 100º field of view...more than 50% larger than a Nagler 82º field!
- Maximum contrast has been achieved in the Televue 13mm Ethos by the use of flat finished baffles and specialty coatings that are tuned to the composition of each element.
- Televue is calling the 13mm Ethos eyepiece a blend of several eyepiece designs, yielding the true field size of eyepieces with longer focal lengths and narrower fields with those that produce a darker sky background and higher magnifications.
Televue 13mm Ethos Specifications
- Apparent Field: 100º
- Focal Length: 13mm
- Effective Field Stop: 22.4mm
- Eye Relief: 15mm (accepts DIOPTRX™ eyesight astigmatism corrector)
- Barrel Size: 2”/1¼”
- Weight: 1.24 lbs.